Easy and delicious! I’ve made these macaroons twice as presents now. This recipe is a mixture of recipes that I’d found online. They were surprisingly easy to make and looked impressive! I wrapped them in tissue paper and popped them in a pretty box. They took about 1.5 hours in total (including washing up!).
Ingredients for macaroons:
100g ground almonds
175g icing sugar
3 egg whites
75g soft brown sugar
Yellow food colouring
Ingredients for lemon butter cream:
100g icing sugar
100g butter (cut into small pieces)
Half a lemon (finely grated zest and juice)
- Preheat the oven to 175˚C / Gas 3 / Fan 165˚C.
- Line 2 or 3 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- For the macaroons, sift 175g icing sugar into a bowl, stir in the ground almonds and set this aside.
- In a mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Add a quarter of the brown sugar to the egg whites. Then add the remaining while whisking on high speed.
- Stir the almond mixture into the egg whites and gently fold with a spatula. Add a few drops of yellow food colouring and lift the mixture and flatten it until it is all smooth and the colouring is all mixed in.
- Put the mixture in a piping bag then squeeze small circles of mixture onto the baking trays, keeping about 2cm between each circle. Tap the trays on the work surface to remove air bubbles and leave to stand for 10 minutes to form a crust on top.
- Bake in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes. They are ready when they don’t move when gently pressed on top. Allow to cool.
- For the buttercream, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Combine with the butter, lemon zest and juice until all the lumps have gone and the mixture is smooth.
- Spread some buttercream onto the underside of one macaroon, and place another on top.